Why Choose Our Financial Regulation lawyers?
We advise on the full spectrum of financial services regulation, including financial and capital markets, banking, asset management, payment services, electronic money, anti-money laundering and regulated mortgages. We work closely with our highly regarded derivatives and structured finance teams and we have a depth of experience advising on regulatory issues relating to financial markets and products.
Within the above we have four particular areas of specialisation:
- financial markets regulation, including on securities and derivatives trading and financial markets infrastructure
- prudential regulation, including regulatory capital and risk mitigation
- market conduct, conduct of business and systems and controls.
- new product innovation, often
including cryptocurrency and/or payment services
Regulatory work covers all stages of development from the establishment of financial services firms through to mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance arrangements, restructurings, financings, regulatory capital arrangements to the creation and distribution of financial products and other matters of strategic importance. We also advise on the interaction between UK and non-UK regulation including, of course, the aftermath of Brexit.
Contentious regulatory work includes defending individuals and firms which are the subject of regulatory attention, in areas including market abuse, anti-money laundering process and systems and controls breaches.
Our clients include banks, broker-dealers and other investment firms, commodity traders, mutuals, investment managers, payment and e-money institutions, funds and fund managers and various fintech businesses, including peer-to-peer and other innovative finance providers as well as firms involved in claims management.
Notable deals and highlights
- Regulatory perimeter issues and obtaining regulatory authorisations including, in respect of: payment services and e-money issues; claims management; appointed representative or agency arrangements; consumer lending; insurance distribution; mortgage lending; collective investment schemes and alternative investment funds
- Advising buy-side and sell-side clients on the impact of EMIR and MiFIR on their derivative trading activities, including in relation to the systematic internaliser regime, trade reporting and transparency requirements, the derivatives clearing and trading obligations, regulatory initial and variation margin arrangements, direct electronic access and algorithmic trading requirements, and direct and indirect clearing arrangements
- Impact of LIBOR discontinuance and the Benchmarks Regulation on their cash and derivative products
- Compliance and conduct of business issues for regulated businesses of all types including major programmes to deal with regulatory change (e.g. MiFID II; PSD2; Senior Managers & Certification regimes;
- Remuneration regimes; regulatory capital requirements; safeguarding requirements for payment services firms
- Advising a major UK exchange-traded fund provider on the regulatory aspects of a proposed cryptoasset-backed note issuance programme
- Defending investigations and responding to enquiries by the Financial Conduct Authority, the Prudential Regulation Authority, Serious Fraud Office and the London Metal Exchange
What others say:
'Forensic attention to detail, meticulous work and a uniquely human dynamic make the team a joy to work with.'
'Each of the team are highly intelligent, work extremely hard and tirelessly strive for the best results for clients. Their client skills are incomparable, and they are a pleasure to work with.'
'Collaboration and capability to guide us, as a foreign client, through the UK law and regulation was crucial. Also, the help in interacting and negotiating with the other parties involved in the matter was very important. A specific plus was that the firm always involved the relevant specialist, either internal or external, in a very transparent and professional manor.'
'Fairness, openness, transparency, and frank communications really helped. The practitioners are able to put themselves in the clients shoes.'
'The team has broad in-depth knowledge of all areas of financial regulation.'
2024 - Legal 500
‘Great mix of people from a diverse range of backgrounds. Uniquely client-friendly and down-to-earth, which are qualities consistent among their staff. They really treat the issue that you are dealing with as if it was their own.’
‘The Financial services: contentious team at Fieldfisher LLP are an outstanding group of individuals and a team that makes the challenging legal process as palatable as possible. They demonstrate second to none efficiency, expertise on their subject matter, thoroughness and then explain in as simple terms required to the client what is required of them, what the possible outcomes of the process could be and what the next steps of the process will likely be.’
2023 - Legal 500
Ranked as a leading firm in IFLR 1000 (2023) for Financial Services Regulatory
Latest Financial Regulation news and views
Sign up to our email digest