I head the firm's M&A practice and most of my work involves high value, complex acquisitions or exits, with an emphasis on US and Japanese inward investment / private equity.
The transactions I tend to work on often involve multiple targets with global structures and many require the interaction of competing governing laws.
I am regularly quoted in the business and technology press, commenting on topics such as blockchain, software, fintech, and digital health.
Recent representative transactions include advising:
- US PE fund Growth Catalyst Partners on various acquisitions of risk consultancies;
- US PE fund SymphonyAI on its acquisition from BAe Systems plc of the financial crime platform NetReveal;
- Iponweb Holding Limited on its $350m sale of a leading global adtech business to Nasdaq-listed Criteo SA;
- Tokyo-listed Glory Ltd on its €200m acquisition of 80% of Acrelec Group S.A.S., the French developer of the kiosks used by McDonald's and other quick serve restaurants in their drive-thru restaurants;
- Blue Prism Group PLC on its £80 million acquisition of Thoughtonomy in the RPA space;
- Elektron Technology plc on its disposal of the Bulgin business via a share sale of Elektron Technology UK Limited to Equistone Private Equity for £105 million;
- A Tier 1 technology consultancy on over 15 acquisitions and post-merger integrations and one recent exit;
- VC-backed Venda Group Limited on the sale of SaaS and e-commerce company Venda Limited to NetSuite Inc.;
- Tokyo Stock Exchange-listed Recruit Holdings Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of Wahanda / Treatwell; and
- Fuse Universal on various growth funding rounds from US / UK funds and venture debt.
I am ranked as a Global Leader for Blockchain, Telecoms and Media by Who's Who Legal 2022 Tim Bird (whoswholegal.com); and in Legal 500 for TMT: Fintech and M&A: Lower Mid-Market deals, £50M-£500M.
What others say…
Tim Bird did a great job of steering our acquisition recently, dealing with a large team and multiple jurisdictions. We felt we were not only in safe hands when it came to the complex structure and documentation but also when it came to the more sensitive cultural challenges inevitably involved.
A very adaptable and commercially focused team with an eye on deal execution. Tim Bird is particularly approachable, pragmatic and balanced in his approach to deal execution on transactions. He effectively becomes a part of our team in a seamless fashion. The Fieldfisher team and particularly Tim Bird are always prepared to go the extra mile to help get the deal over the line.